So you are planning your wedding! Exciting, stressful and overwhelming a times. For most girls this is the first real party you are planning. I know you have tried to think of everything but here are ten things I have seen forgotten a lot during my time as a wedding decorator.
1. Your marriage license. This one sounds like a no brainer but omg sooooooo many couples put this off. They wait to get their license the weeks before the wedding and find out it is not a simple process! There are document requirements and some states have waiting periods. You should call your local courthouse at least 3 months in advance to find out what documents you need and what other requirements there are. You should to apply for your wedding license 3-4 weeks before your wedding day.
2. Food! Don’t forget to plan a meal for you and your bridal party while you are getting dressed! Most weddings take place in the afternoon and so brides are busy with hair and make up all day and you are so occupied you can easily forget to eat! Plan to have food delivered or make sure you make it someone’s job to pick up lunch for you and your bridal party.
3. Directions. Or even a map. As a 20 or 30 something we just assume that everyone is proficient in Google but they aren’t. Your great Aunt may have never heard of your venue and can easily let google take her to the wrong location. Be sure to check that your venue is easy to find on Google and that the address and direction are accurate. You can also include an extra card in your invitations with driving instructions or even a simple map if your venue is extra tricky to locate. You may also want to include special parking and entrance information on that card.
4. How to kiss. Ok so this is weird but most people don’t even think of this until the moment you have to kiss in front of 100 people. A quick peck or a passionate kiss? Its worth bringing it up with your groom so you are on the same page when it comes time.
5. Shoes. You may want a change of shoes to dance in. I know your shoes are super cute and you want to wear them all night but believe me you will want something to change in to.
6. Emergency kit. I know everyone says this but accidents do happen! Here are my emergency kit pics. Umbrella, asperin, pepto bismol, gum, candy(Smarties or Skittles), bleach pin, sewing kit, a pin or sharpie, water, bandaids, tissues, safety pins, a ruberband or two, hair tie, bobby pins and a snack like crackers or cookies.
7. Moving items from ceremony to reception. This is where delegation comes in usually you need the guest book, any gifts people bring and décor. Having a box stored at the ceremony makes transporting everything easier.
8. A chair for grandma. Make sure your elderly guests are comfortable. It can be hard to think of everything but one thing I have seen a lot is elderly guests searching for a seat. It can be hard but making sure Grandma isn’t left standing too long will ensure she doesn’t get worn out and leave your wedding too early.
9. A moment of privacy. You will need a moment of privacy for you and your groom. Your wedding day will be an amazing whirlwind. If you can plan for a few private minutes for you and your new husband you will get a chance to connect and live in that moment. You will cherish those moments forever.
10. A place for your personal goods. Many reception halls have a bridal suite or a private room for you and your wedding party to change and store your personal items in. But many don’t. If yours doesn’t consider placing a table behind draping or make a public area private by locking a door or blocking off an area with draping.